SOCIAL GIANT DOES SOCIAL GOOD
The gap between the haves and the have-nots continues to widen in San Francisco due to the expansion of tech businesses. With money pouring into new businesses, the cost of living – and more importantly, rent, is on the rise. So much so that long-time residents were struggling to keep their homes… so Twitter decided to do something about it.
WHAT DID THEY DO?
Twitter opened NeighborNest, a $3 million learning center where employees volunteer their time to teach community members the techy skills. We like Twitter.
Facebook and Twitter have some awesome changes for businesses
- Facebook’s Place Tips for Businesses will allow businesses to target information within the Facebook app to people who are in their stores. Think restaurant menus, customizable notes, or recommendations for the chef’s favorite appetizer. Find out how your business can benefit.
- Facebook Carousel Ads – you’ve probably seen some by now. They’re the ads that rotate multiple images. Read more.
- Upgraded tools for Facebook Ads – check ’em out!
- Twitter Introduces Audience Insights – about time! If you’re like us, you’ve been waiting all your life (ok, maybe since 2009) for Twitter Audience Insights without using a third-party service. Now you can!
WHAT TO SAY TO YOURSELF WHEN YOU WISH YOU COULD GIVE A STRANGER A MAKEOVER…
If I could only stop them from wearing overalls! So did some researchers from University of Toronto. They put together a research project about #OOTD (Outfit of the Day) photos on Instagram and the comments they received. From their findings. they created an algorithm to suggest specific ways how to become more fashionable. We’re pretty sure their motivation for the project was to have concrete evidence to share with their dads that socks with sandals is not a good look.
WHAT TO SAY WHEN IT’S OVERCAST…
Tut, tut, looks like rain. Twitter is stepping into the live events game. Their new tool, called Project Lightning, is planned to release this year. It will let you browse through tweets, videos and photos of live events, much like Snapchat stories.
WHAT TO SAY WHEN YOUR JOKE FALLS FLAT…
And then I found $5. A classic Apple vs. Samsung joke between baseball players on Twitter was twice as funny when the Samsung guy sent his tweet from an iPhone. Oopsies.
WHAT TO SAY WHEN NO ONE HELPED SET UP FOR THE PARTY…
Fine, I’ll do it myself. The people of Panama City had tweeted about the potholes in their community. Finally, the potholes tweeted too. A marketing agency got cast-iron plates with sensors and set them in potholes around the city. They put together tweets to post every time a car drove over them. It worked too! The potholes are getting fixed. Muy bueno, @ElHuecoTwitero.
EAT MY SHORTS
- Some Twitter users on Android get to favorite tweets with hearts instead of stars – you like me, you really like me!
- American Airlines uses a rainbow avatar, Chobani’s campaign features a lesbian couple, and other brands celebrate Pride Month.
- Someone’s bread was sliced crooked, and he was upset. The bread company, Morrisons, won Social Media for the day with their replies.
- Probably the most important brief… Hillary Clinton joined Instagram highlighting the toughest decision of all.
NEVER MISS THE SOCIAL SHARE AGAIN!
View the original email or…